AIPPI's roots go back to the time when the Paris Convention for the protection of intellectual property was signed in 1883. AIPPI was founded in Brussels as an international association in 1897.
At the beginning, there were yearly congresses and reunions until 1914, when the First World War broke out. In 1925, AIPPI was reestablished.
Since the time the Swiss patent attorney Eugen Blum was heading AIPPI, AIPPI's core activities were more and more moved to Switzerland.